Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Great Idea or Greatest Idea Ever?

I found someone on amazon who reviewed his or her (no hints, I’m not revealing who) own books and gave them all five stars, along with brief descriptions and promises of how happy people would be if they read. I admit, I’ve thought about it. I would like to attach a brief bio and personal description of my book to complement the one from my publisher in an amazon review. I wouldn’t be comfortable rating it, but if I had to rate it…yeah, I’d give it five stars. I love my book! Do I really think it could reach readers the way the great books I’ve read in my life have reached me? No. Do I kind of think that? Sure. I don’t think a writer can dedicate the time it takes to write a book, edit it, rewrite parts and edit again etc. without the thought that it has the potential to be great. A love story between a dominant woman and a submissive man isn’t going to win the Nobel prize, but for what it is, I think it’s a five star book. Otherwise, I’d have spent more time on it before I sent it to a publisher. I realize my opinion is extremely biased and I would stop short of promising anyone else would think the same. Everyone is entitled to form his or her opinion, just as the writer is entitled to his…or hers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment